All photos are copyrighted by BDi 2010

Thursday, July 29, 2010

When negative is not so negative.

I think am currently enamored with black and white.  The positive and negative of things.  What is and what isn't.  What you see and what you don't see.  

Another favorite, relaxing hobby of mine is paper cutting.  It involves considerable thought in regards to positive and negative spaces.  This piece, which I recently completed as a 'test drive' for my new pair of scissors, is a perfect example of how one can see the positive simply by removing the negative.  But removing the negative is not a negative thing as it compliments and becomes part of the positive.  Okay! okay!  I'll spare you the mental turmoil.  This piece will be framed and grace our walls for many July's to come.  (yes, there are 50 stars!) 


So, without going into much detail (whew!  sigh of relief!) I wanted to show the black and white pendant I made.


I love this piece!  It is mother of pearl adorned with black AB 4mm and 6mm faceted stones.  I love how the thread becomes an important design element upsetting the beaders philosophy to keep the thread matching and hidden.  As you might imagine, my mind went into major overload with all the endless possibilities this piece affords.  However, I did manage to restrain myself and keep it simple, yet elegant.  I made the piece reversible simply by turning the AB finish to the front.  When a more casual appearance is needed, I simply reverse it and wear it with a smile.  I get compliments every time!  

2 comments:

  1. I love the use of the thread on that last one. very cool and clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your paper cutting piece is terrific. I have no clue how you do it. Truly a work of art.

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome